(Edited on 2014-08-26 to add volume information and additional measurements)
Despite all the thing that have been standardized in this day and age, one of our most important tools has so far escaped standardization: The coffee mug. At least I couldn’t find any such standard.
Everyone knows what the usual cylindrical coffee mug looks like, and they are somewhat similar in their measurements. There are, however, differences in the mugs from different manufacturers. They are clearly out to create the same product, but without international standards, the results are inconsistent.
Case in point: Here is a picture of five coffee mugs, and their measurements:
|Diameter||Diameter inc. handle length||Height||Height of handle 3||Wall thickness||Measured volume (ml)||Calculated volume (ml)||Handle to bottom||Mug bottom thickness 4|
|2||82||120||95||74||6||? 1||3275||? 1||? 1|
This is a sorry state of affairs. No two mugs are the same, despite two of them having been ordered from the same custom mug service.
Some findings based on the measurements:
- The diameter seems fairly consistent.
- The handle width differs markedly in only one of the mugs. Mug number 5 has a handle that’s too long; The increased length of lever combined with the decreased ability for the fingers to support the side of the mug make it less enjoyable to hold cup number 5.
- The mug height has a fair bit of variation.
- The handle height also varies a lot.
- The wall thickness (measured at the thickest point, the wall tapers towards the top in all the mugs) is fairly consistent.
All in all, mug number 5 is bigger than the other ones in nearly all the dimensions, making it the odd one out. Clearly not standard worthy. Other than that, going with the averages gives us a nice set of dimensions.
So, I hereby declare the Standard Coffee Mug Dimensions v1.0 to be as follows:
- Outer diameter (a): 82mm
- Outer diameter + handle length (b): 120mm
- Height (c): 95mm
- Handle height (d): 73mm
- Wall thickness (e): 6mm (tapers down at the top of the mug)
Added 2014-08-26: Standard Coffee Mug Dimensions v2.0 defines some additional measurements:
- Handle bottom to mug bottom (g): 10mm
- Bottom thickness (f): 10mm
If you are a coffee mug manufacturer, please update the dimensions of your mugs accordingly. Thank you.